Pompeo admits he was on Trump call with Ukrainian president that led to impeachment inquiry

Secretary of State Mike Pompeo confirmed Wednesday that he was on the July phone call between President Donald Trump and Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelenskiy that led to an impeachment inquiry launched by the House last week. “I was on the phone call,” he told the reporters during a news conference alongside Italian Foreign Minister Luigi Di Maio. “I know precisely what the American policy is with respect to Ukraine,” Pompeo added. “It’s been remarkably consistent, and we will continue to try to drive those sets of outcomes.” Pompeo’s admission comes after The Wall Street Journal reported his being on the call earlier this week. Late last month, Pompeo was asked what he thought of the discussion between Trump and Zelenskiy during an interview with ABC’s “This Week.” “So, you just gave me a report about a I.C. whistle-blower complaint, none of which I’ve seen,” Pompeo said before defending the administration’s Ukraine policy. The secretary of state’s comments additionally took place amid the backdrop of the State Department’s Inspector General scheduling a surprising briefing on Capitol Hill Wednesday with staffers from a group of House and Senate committees on documents related to the State Department and Ukraine, multiple congressional sources told NBC News. Meanwhile, former Ukraine special envoy Kurt Volker and former U.S. Ambassador to Ukraine Marie Yovanovitch will soon sit for depositions before the House committees involved in the impeachment inquiry.